This Confucian academy was built in 1560 (the 15th year of King Myeongjong’s reign in Joseon dynasty) and destroyed during Imjinwaeran (Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592). In 1647 (the 25th year of King Injo’s reign), it was rebuilt on the current position below Oknyeobong Peak.
#156-1, Eupnae-ri, Eumseong-eup, Eumseong-gun (82-43-871-3062)
Chungcheongbuk-do Tangible Cultural Property No. 104
The Myeongyundang (lecture hall) is positioned in front of the hall where ancestral rites were held. Between them are placed Dongjae (dorm in the east) and Seojae (dorm in the west).
Eumseong Hyanggyo is cultural heritage in which the religious rites, architectural structures and Confucian culture of the Joseon dynasty can be felt and understood. Many monuments which were erected to pay tribute to the virtuous deeds of Eumseong governors can be observed in front of this Confucian school and tomb epitaphs can also be read here.