The origin of this Confucian school dates back to 1602 (the 35th year of King Seonjo’s reign) when Chungju governor Jeong Gu renamed Baekun Seodang as Baekun Seowon. In 1661 (the 2nd year of King Hyeonjong’s reign), it was renamed Ungok Seowon. In 1676 (the 2nd year of King Sukjong’s reign), it was officially named by the King.
Yongseong-ri, Samseong-myeon, Eumseong-gun
Chungcheongbuk-do Cultural Property Material No. 11
In accordance with an order to shut down all Confucian schools by the Regent Daewongun in 1871 (the 8th year of King Gojong’s reign), it was destroyed. In 1894 (the 31st year of King Gojong’s reign), it was rebuilt. In terms of layout, the lecture hall is positioned to the front while an ancestral shine is located behind. In front of the lecture hall are situated Dongjae (dorm in the east) and Seojae (dorm in the west). This Confucian school is a valuable cultural heritage through which the architectural structure of Confucian schools during the Joseon dynasty can be studied.