The Old House of Gongsanjeong Village
According to the record on the wooden gate to the Anchae (women’s quarters), this house was restored in 1924. Therefore, it appears that this house was first built during the late 19th century.
Gongsanjeong Village, #585-3, Yeongsan-ri, Gamgok-myeon, Eumseong-gun
It seems likely that the Anchae was constructed when the house was being restored.
With a mountainous backdrop, this house has an open front yard, a ‘ㅡ’-shaped Sarangchae (men’s quarters) and ‘ㄱ’-shaped Haenglangchae (servants’ quarters) on the right side of the Sarangchae. The Haenglangchae has a Jungmun (a wooden gate) through which the Anchae can be entered.
Once passing through Jungmun, the spacious front yard and ‘ㄱ’-shaped Anchae (women’s quarters) appear. From a birds-eye view, this house is “ㅁ”-shaped. Uniquely, the kitchen has a gable roof with a hole through which smoke from the cooking fire escapes, and a gate faces to the side behind the Sarangchae. This house has the pure and simple beauty of a traditional private house.